Greek-Australian Doctor Charged With 148 Counts of Rape and Sexual Assault

Written on 05/20/2026
Tasos Kokkinidis

Detectives allege that between the early 2000s and 2015, the practitioner sexually abused 15 female patients. Credit: Public Domain

A major police investigation in Brisbane has led to 148 charges of rape and sexual assault being laid against a 74-year-old retired Greek-Australian doctor who had worked as a general practitioner (GP). At least fifteen former patients have already come forward to provide evidence to authorities.

On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, Queensland Police officially charged Stellios Theodoros with 94 counts of rape and 54 counts of sexual assault. According to ABC, detectives from the Upper Mount Gravatt Child Protection and Investigation Unit (CPIU) initiated “Operation Xray Cariyna” in August last year following a wave of complaints from multiple women.

Two decades of alleged abuse, including rape and sexual assault, by the Greek-Australian doctor

Detectives allege that between the early 2000s and 2015, the practitioner sexually abused fifteen female patients ranging in age from their late teens to their forties under the guise of medical examinations. The alleged offenses took place at a health clinic in Tarragindi, in Brisbane‘s south.

The family doctor practiced at the Wellers Hill Medical Centre until his retirement in 2021 and was removed from his position as a director of the company last year. He has been released on bail and is scheduled to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on June 23.

Speaking to the ABC, a former patient who filed a formal complaint stated that the charges were “a long time coming.”

“It’s a massive relief,” she said. “This is the biggest milestone, and it needed to be known that charges have been laid.”

Senior Sergeant Dennis Silk of the Upper Mount Gravatt CPIU emphasized that the investigation is ongoing and urged anyone with further information to come forward. “We ask anyone with information to contact us directly or reach out anonymously via Crime Stoppers,” he said.